Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sidewalk sightings

When you have to walk as slow as I do, you notice the ground more often. More specifically what is on the ground.
There are those round water turn offs, that often rise above the sidewalk. Stubbing your foot if you're not careful. They really do a number on my back,as do uneven sidewalk blocks.
Calling cards of a dog having previously passed by, which you don't want to step in.
Coinage too which I pass by, as I cannot bend without difficulty. However this week a Twenty Dollar bill beckoned, and so I heeded the call, picked it up and paid the price in pain later.
Something even richer appeared this week on the sidewalk. A chalk picture done by the little girl next door.
Bright green grass, a beautiful blue sky, and a shining yellow sun. It was as beautiful as any masterpiece, perhaps even better, as it was done in childhood innocence. Through the eyes of a child. Full of life and optimism that sadly adults can't often see.
We only see life like the grey color of concrete, the calling card of a dog, or the color of money.
I treated that part of the sidewalk as sacred ground, not wanting anything to change.
For days I walked around it, pausing and admiring it everytime.
It has been awhile now, and the colors have faded, but I still stop and remember how it was.
Hoping to keep the initial image alive in my mind.

1 comment: